This Focused Issue on Innovations in Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Surgery, guest edited by Dr. Mohamad Bashir and Dr. Joseph E. Bavaria, aims to highlight clinical controversies and uncertainties regarding thoracic aortic aneurysm, its surgical treatment and innovations. We wish to cross fertilize topics from a pool of international repute and bring them to clinical, scientific and academic platform to portray their Viewpoints, results and experiences. The sections of this Focused Issue include Original Articles, Reviews, Viewpoints, Great Debates and Perspective.
Below is the list of topics to be covered in this issue:
A. Basic Science
1. Viewpoint: "Getting Beyond Diameter": When to Replace the Aorta?
2. Review: Use of Indexed Diameter Measurements: How Accurate and Reliable?
3. Review: Genetic Testing to Modulate When to Operate?
4. Perspective: CTA Stress Plots
B. Aortic Dissection
1. Perspective: The Changing Surgical Approach to Type A Dissection
2. Review: Aberrant Subclavian. What to do?
3. Perspective: Chronic Type B "Residual" After Type A: What I would do?
4. Viewpoint: Timing of TEVAR in Acute Type B Aortic Dissection Setting
5. Viewpoint: Where should we do to Type A Dissection Repair? in Endosuite/Hybrid OR
C. Root & Ascending
1. Review: The Changing Surgical Approach to Proximal Aneurysm Disease
2. Perspective: The Emergence of the Valve Sparing Root Procedure (David V): Is this a Definitive Sinus Segment Solution
3. Review: The Concept of Sparing/Repairing Aortic Valves with AI and Root Aneurysm as a Default in Proximal Aortic Reconstruction with both TAV and BAV
4. Review: Direct Aortic Aortic cannulation in Complex Aortic Disease
5. Original Article: Moderate Hypothermia with ACP Techniques
6. Original Article: TEVAR for Ascending Aorta: Experience and Pitfalls
7. Viewpoint: "Wheat" Procedure vs Conventional Root Repair?
8. Pro – Con Debate: Does Every Ascending Aorta Repair Require At Least An Open Distal Anastomosis at The Innominate? Or Not?
D. Distal Aorta/Arch
1. Perspective: Hybrid Stent Graft Availability for Arch and Distal Aorta
2. Viewpoint: Zone 2 Arch Index Procedure: A Sequential Solution to Distal Aortic Degeneration
3. Viewpoint: "The Proximalization" of the Arch Anastomosis and Construction of Zone 1 and 2 Arches
4. Pro – Con Debate: Short Circulatory Arrest Times in Arch Reconstructive Surgery: Is Simple RCP or HCA as Good or Better than Complex ACP for Open Distal Involvement or Hemi-arch?
5. Original Article: Coarction Repair Redo Challenges in the Adults. What to Do?
6. Perspective: Frozen Elephant Trunk: The Future
1. TEVAR vs Open vs Medical Management of All the "Classes" of Type B Dissection
a. Viewpoint: Acute Complicated
b. Viewpoint: Acute Uncomplicated
c. Viewpoint: Acute Uncomplicated but with High Risk Features
2. Perspective: Hybrid Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm: Is the Future Here
3. Perspective: Optimal Spinal Protection Strategy in Surgery and Endovascular Interventions of Thoracic and Thoracoabdominal Aneurysms
Hope to bring you an inspirational collection!
Mohamad Bashir M.D. PhD. MRCS
Cardiothoracic Surgery – Barts Heart Centre
St Bartholomew’s Hospital
London, EC1A 7BE
Joseph E. Bavaria, M.D.
Immediate-Past President - Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS)
Brooke Roberts-William M. Measey Professor of Surgery
Vice-Chief, Division of Cardiovascular Surgery
Surgical Director, Heart and Vascular Center
Director, Thoracic Aortic Surgery Program