Welcome to this JOVS Focused Issue on: Innovations in Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Surgery.
This Issue is guest edited by: Mohamad Bashir M.D. PhD. MRCS from Barts Heart Centre in London and Professor Joseph Bavaria from the Division of Cardiovascular Surgery, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
Mohamad Bashir M.D. PhD. MRCS
Professor Joseph Bavaria
This Focused Issue aims to highlight clinical controversies and uncertainties regarding thoracic aortic aneurysm, its surgical treatment and innovations. We wish to cross fertilize topics from a pool of international repute and bring them to clinical, scientific and academic platform to portray their opinions, results and experiences. The sections of this Focused Issue include Original Articles, Reviews, Opinions, Great Debates and Perspective.
Please see the Program detail for further information:
A. Basic Science
1. Viewpoint: "Getting Beyond Diameter": When to Replace the Aorta?
2. Review: Use of Indexed Diameter Measurements: How Accurate and Reliable?
3. Review: Genetic Testing to Modulate When to Operate?
4. Perspective: CTA Stress Plots
B. Aortic Dissection
1. Perspective: The Changing Surgical Approach to Type A Dissection
2. Review: Aberrant Subclavian. What to do?
3. Perspective: Chronic Type B "Residual" After Type A: What I would do?
4. Viewpoint: Timing of TEVAR in Acute Type B Aortic Dissection Setting
5. Viewpoint: Where should we do to Type A Dissection Repair? in Endosuite/Hybrid OR
C. Root & Ascending
1. Review: The Changing Surgical Approach to Proximal Aneurysm Disease
2. Perspective: The Emergence of the Valve Sparing Root Procedure (David V): Is this a Definitive Sinus Segment Solution
3. Review: The Concept of Sparing/Repairing Aortic Valves with AI and Root Aneurysm as a Default in Proximal Aortic Reconstruction with both TAV and BAV
4. Review: Direct Aortic Aortic cannulation in Complex Aortic Disease
5. Original Article: Moderate Hypothermia with ACP Techniques
6. Original Article: TEVAR for Ascending Aorta: Experience and Pitfalls
7. Viewpoint: "Wheat" Procedure vs Conventional Root Repair?
8. Pro – Con Debate: Does Every Ascending Aorta Repair Require At Least An Open Distal Anastomosis at The Innominate? Or Not?
Pro – Mohamad Bashir, Con – Kenji Minatoya
D. Distal Aorta/Arch
1. Perspective: Hybrid Stent Graft Availability for Arch and Distal Aorta
2. Viewpoint: Zone 2 Arch Index Procedure: A Sequential Solution to Distal Aortic Degeneration
3. Viewpoint: "The Proximalization" of the Arch Anastomosis and Construction of Zone 1 and 2 Arches
4. Pro – Con Debate: Short Circulatory Arrest Times in Arch Reconstructive Surgery: Is Simple RCP or HCA as Good or Better than Complex ACP for Open Distal Involvement or Hemi-arch?
Pro – Tony Estrera, Con – Davide Pacini
5. Original Article: Coarction Repair Redo Challenges in the Adults. What to Do?
6. Perspective: Frozen Elephant Trunk: The Future
1. TEVAR vs Open vs Medical Management of All the "Classes" of Type B Dissection
a. Viewpoint: Acute Complicated - Leonard Girardi
b. Viewpoint: Acute Uncomplicated - Christoph Nienaber
c. Viewpoint: Acute Uncomplicated but with High Risk Features - Roberto Di Bartolomeo
2. Perspective: Hybrid Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm: Is the Future Here Jo Coselli
3. Perspective: Optimal Spinal Protection Strategy in Surgery and Endovascular Interventions of Thoracic and Thoracoabdominal Aneurysms